Spelling Activities - Due Each Friday
15 Points Each Week
Each week you are to complete activities worth at least 15 points. Be sure that each activity is recorded in your homework packet with parent initials.
**** Try to choose a variety of activities throughout the year :)
5 Point Activities -
****All activities at www.spellingcity.com are worth 5 points****
Activity #1 Put spelling words in ABC order.
Activity #2 Type all the spelling words on the computer
Activity #3 Take a practice test.
Activity #4 Make a set of spelling flash cards to study.
Activity #5 Have a family member scramble the spelling words, then you unscramble the words.
Activity #6 Fraction Words – Example: house 3/5 of the letters are vowels. 2/5 of the letters are consonants
10 Point Activities
Activity #7 Write your words in three different colors. Write it once with one color, and then choose another color and rewrite the words, finally choose a last color and write words again.
Activity #8 Write an antonym (opposite) for each word.
Activity #9 Write a synonym (same) for each word.
Activity #10 Write a root word or add to the root word of each spelling word (by adding a prefix or suffix to the original word)
Activity #11 Cut letters out of magazines or newspaper to make at least 8 of your spelling words.
Activity #12 Write the dictionary guide words for ten of your spelling words.
Activity #13 Write the part of speech for each spelling word (noun, verb, adjective).
Activity #14 Fraction words Example - the word house. 3/5 of the letters are vowels, 2/5 of the letters are consonants.
Activity #15 Write each spelling word/ identify each word’s part of speech (noun, verb, adjective)
Activity #16 Write a sentence using each spelling word.
Activity #17 – create a word search using all the words and then solve it. (puzzlemaker.com)
15 Point Activities
A=$1 B=$2 C=$3 D=$4 E=$5 F=$6 G=$7 H=$8 I=$9
J=$1 K=$2 L=$3 M=$4 N=$5 O=$6 P=$7 Q=$8 R=$9
S=$1 T=$2 U=$3 V=$4 W=$5 X=$6 Y=$7 Z=$8
Activity #18 Shop and Sell! - Using the chart above, write the value of each word. Example HOUSE h=$8 o=$6 u=$3 s=$1 e=$5 = $23.00 total.
Activity #19 Write a poem using all the spelling words - underline spelling words.
Activity #20 Create a crossword puzzle including clues using only 10 of your spelling words. Have a family member solve it.
Activity #21 Write a story using 10 spelling words. Underline the spelling words in the story.
Spelling Homework Ideas
Use these spelling homework ideas to add variety to your kids' spelling routine. Regardless of their age, most students need to practice, practice, practice their new spelling words, and that can quickly become boring, boring, boring!
To keep your kids engaged in the process, try some of these ideas this week. Don't miss the first half of our list.
Printable list of spelling homework ideas
21. Write a brand-new tall tale that uses 10 of your spelling words.
22. Write a poem using at least 3 of your spelling words.
23. Sort your spelling words using their parts of speech.
24. Type 5 of your words into a word processing program. Use its dictionary to find and copy definitions.
25. Write the letters of your words in ABC order. (For example, STUDY would be DSTUY.)
26. Write the words on a piece of graph paper so that every word intersects with another word, if possible.
27. Try to form new words by changing just one letter in each spelling word. Example: load - loaf
28. Try to form new words by adding one letter to each spelling word. (Example study - sturdy)
29. Write a story about your favorite holiday that uses at least 6 spelling words.
30. Write a story about a terrible, awful day that uses at least 6 spelling words.
31. Use building blocks, toys or other items to form your spelling words.
32. Rewrite all your spelling words using a code. Include the code on the page. Ask a family member to solve.
33. Draw a picture for 10 of your spelling words.
34. Make a greeting card for a family member that uses at least 3 of your spelling words.
35. Write 5 sentences so that each one contains a spelling word and a synonym or antonym for the spelling word.
36. Write sentences using two spelling words in each sentence.
37. Think of a shape that relates to each spelling word. Then try to write the word in that shape.
38. Write a new song to an old tune (Jingle Bells, Mary Had a Little Lamb, etc.) that uses several of your spelling words.
39. Write each word 6 times, using a different style of letters each time. (Use cursive letters, block letters, curvy letters, etc.)
40. Write the title of a fictional book for each spelling word.
More Spelling Homework Ideas
Check out our first 20 homework ideas, our spelling word games, and our spelling worksheets for more great practice ideas.
We also recommend the AnyWord Spelling Practice eBooks. The books are full of ideas for lots of spelling practice with any spelling words. The 3 eBooks provide practice with creative writing, word play, and partner games.
Home › Spelling Lessons > More Spelling Homework Ideas